Monday, October 10, 2022

31. Midway’s Minion, “Tag,” BLF, Nik Koumoundouros

Midway's Minion "Tag"
Lab Female -- 1/30/2021
Sire: FC 3Rs' Mr T Smoken Joe
Dam: Peaks Shootin' The Way To Happiness
Breeder: Kurt Edward Opel
Owner: Nik Koumoundouros & Woody Woodson, Carrollton, TX
Handler: Nik Koumoundouros


Nik and Tag came to the line at 11:55 am

F –  Between the bales, then left, turned back and right, went straight to her bird.

L – Wide right around the mound, cut back left and straight to her bird again!


Questionnaire
Owner Name: Nik Koumoundouros & Woody Woodson

Dog Name: Tag

When did you begin competing in Field Trials? 
September 17, 2005 - Jayhawk Retriever Club

What made you decide to compete in Field Trials? 
My first dog, Theo, was getting older. I wanted to get a puppy to train for duck hunting. I got Emma when she was 8 weeks old. Later, I met Ron Geels through Ducks Unlimited and began training with him and a couple local pros, Jim Swan & Mike Hafley. I trained Emma myself. I remember riding with Ron to Jayhawk and staying at the world-famous Copa in Kingman, KS. Emma and I JAMed our first Derby and if felt like winning a National. I am excited to be a part of the 2022 NDC; the Derby is the entry point for new participants to enter our sport.

Who are your training partners at home? 
Tim Milligan (Pro), Woody Woodson, Seth Kelly, Rich Davis, Ron Root, Jan Connely. In addition, the team at Midway Retrievers. They are amazing and take such great care of the dogs. Woody and I am eternally grateful for all they do.

What is the origin of your dog’s name? 
Tim & Jenn Milligan named Tag; they also raised the litter. Woody’s wife chose her registered name. She is a handful, and we lovingly refer to her as Tag-manian Devil.

Tell us an interesting story about your dog.
Tag was a slow starter, kind of a dud puppy. Tim and Jenn raised her with the help of Shannon Meggs, who works for Tim. I almost purchased Tag when she was a puppy after my dog Voodoo washed out of training. Tim had a very Tim Milligan way of explaining that Voodoo wasn’t going to make a FT dog. He sent me a text message with Tag’s pedigree. When I asked what that was, he replied “your new dog.” Message received!
 
I initially passed on Tag for another dog, Pink, who was closer to running trials. Pink qualified for this year’s NDC as well; however, she turned 2 in April. Fast forward about a year and the opportunity to purchase Tag with Woody Woodson presented itself and here we are today. BTW, Tag is no longer a dud.

You and your dog have survived nine series of the National Derby Championship. You are about to come to the line for the 10th series with a chance to be crowned the 2022 National Derby Champion. What song and artist would you want to hear playing as the two of you come to the line? 
“Tush” by ZZ Top