Monday, October 10, 2022

Rerun 12. Meadow Woods Smokin’ Hot, “Traeger,” BLM, Beth Harman

Meadow Woods Smokin’ Hot "Traeger"
Lab Male -- 3/14/2021
Sire: FC Sweetie's Easy Rider
Dam: AFC Meadow Woods Girls Just Do It
Breeder: Judy & Tony Despenas
Owner: Brad & Beth Harman, New Virginia, IA
Handler: Beth Harman


Beth and Traeger came back to the line to rerun at 10:28 am

F – Between the cedars and bales out the fall area, quickly found his bird.

L – Left of the mound, and straight to the bird!


Questionnaire
Owner Name: Brad & Beth Harman

Dog Name: Traeger

When did you begin competing in Field Trials? 
1994

What made you decide to compete in Field Trials? 
I bought a nice FT-bred puppy, “Webster,” from Chris Smith in Madison Lake, MN to do AKC Hunt Tests. Chris talked me into running a Derby and we got a Reserve Jam. I was hooked at that point. With the wonderful training and coaching from Chris Smith, Webster and I got our Master hunt test title then Chris convinced us to try the Field Trial game. Well, we jumped in and entered two field trials back-to-back. Lo’ and behold our second trial we won the Amateur and got 3rd in the Open. Holy Smokes, I was addicted, then teamed up with the great Bill Eckett of Blackwater Retrievers and Webster quickly earned his FC and competed in the 2000 National Retriever Championship in Ardmore, OK. Webster introduced me to a whole new world and because of him, I have met the most amazing people through the sport and have made lifelong friendships I will always cherish.

Who are your training partners at home? 
Tony & Judy Despenas, Tanja & Casey Frye and the late John Goossen.

What is the origin of your dog’s name? 
My husband wanted one of those fancy expensive Traeger grills. I convinced him this puppy was cheaper and we’d name him “Traeger.” Sorry darling, I lied.

Tell us an interesting story about your dog.
When Traeger was about 10 weeks old, we took him through a puppy kindergarten class with my training partner, Tanja Frye, at Cyclone Country Kennel Club in Ames, IA. After the first class, I injured my knee and was on crutches so I made Brad complete the class with Traeger. That little puppy developed a very special bond with Brad. They are never far apart at home in the house, barn or kennel. Where Brad goes, Traeger goes. If I ask Traeger to do something, he looks at Brad who then ‘gives him permission’ to listen to mom. But when he is training, he could care less about who’s on the line with him. He is all business and thinks he is the one in charge. He challenges me to be a stronger, more patient partner on the line.

You and your dog have survived nine series of the National Derby Championship. You are about to come to the line for the 10th series with a chance to be crowned the 2022 National Derby Champion. What song and artist would you want to hear playing as the two of you come to the line? 
“Smoke on the Water” by Deep Purple