Monday, October 10, 2022

13. B&B’s Back In Black, “Angus,” BLM, David Barrow

B&B's Back In Black "Angus"
Lab Male -- 7/15/2021
Sire: Sweethalls Pocketful Of Safe Moorings
Dam: Bayou Black's Magic Willow QAA
Breeder: John Kello
Owner: David Barrow & Wendy Buckler, Hollister, FL
Handler: David Barrow


Dave and Angus came to the line at 10:21 am

F – Long bird, through the bales, Nice!

L – Right of the mound, wide right of the cedars, turned back to the trees and missed it, hunted deep right, back to the cedars and he got his bird.


Questionnaire
Owner Name: David Barrow & Wendy Buckler

Dog Name: Angus

When did you begin competing in Field Trials? 
I had the privilege of watching, gunning and helping at field trials in the 1980’s. My competing in field trials began in 2000.

What made you decide to compete in Field Trials? 
My grandfather had an old Acme whistle which he used for the first Labrador I had ever seen as a child. The progression from fox hunting through English Setters, Beagles, to my first Labrador Retriever in the early 80’s seemed fitting as I began to waterfowl hunt more often. After learning from hunt tests, sanctioned club trials and once my son and daughter were in their teens, my training groups evolved into field trials.

Who are your training partners at home? 
I train with many amateur handlers from time to time, but my main training partner is Wendy Buckler.

What is the origin of your dog’s name? 
I have had yellow labs for many years, and Angus is my first black lab and happens to also be the grandson of my dog Macy. His name comes from the AC/DC song Back in Black and the lead singer Angus Young since it appears I am now back running blacks.

Tell us an interesting story about your dog.
When Angus came to me at 12 weeks, the guy raising him for me for a few weeks said, “look at this crazy dog.” He held him up by his middle and Angus FROZE. His head stared off into the horizon and never moved. Every time you picked him up, he just went into a trance. Funniest thing I had ever seen in a dog.

You and your dog have survived nine series of the National Derby Championship. You are about to come to the line for the 10th series with a chance to be crowned the 2022 National Derby Champion. What song and artist would you want to hear playing as the two of you come to the line? 
“Back in Black” by AC/DC